Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Five Stages of Belief

 "Well, we all gotta go sometime."  -- Homer Simpson

Rarely, maybe never, have so many of us been going through the process of letting go of what we thought we had and accepting what is left all together at the same time.

What has happened over a period of months (that feel like years) is remarkable. We've been forced to live within ourselves to a degree that is unprecedented on a mass level.

Meditation never had it so good..

In the process of emptying ourselves of all thoughts and letting insights rush in, there is the possibility that we may just, tentatively and perhaps reluctantly, be getting to know ourselves a little bit better.

What are we learning?

I'll go first. I've been learning how much I rely on my physical senses to navigate through life. Sight -- I'm seeing things with more clarity, even though my eyesight is compromised by large ctacaracts that are way overdue for surgical removal. Hearing -- the sound of music has always moved me but now I am listening more intently, hearing more of the nuances of lyrics and rhythms. Smell -- I lost this sense a ways back and I miss it. Taste -- it is compromised without a sense of smell but I still enjoy the diversity of tastes food provides. Touch -- I miss touching.

***

Rains cool the coast; heat scorches the valley. California eases into summer uncomfortably. Our economy, one of the world's largest, is in disarray.

The conflict over whether to be good, stay inside, and maintain social distance, or to rebel, go outside, and do what we want to do will wage furiously here in the coming weeks. Nobody moved to California for the joy of staying inside.

I don't envy Gavin Newsom as he balances these competing impulses against the backdrop of a shuttered economy screaming to reopen. There aren't going to be any easy choices from here on out.

Those of us who are retired can watch this develop as if it were a reality TV show. Many of us are on fixed incomes, with assets dependent on how the markets are performing, so we are not exactly passive observers.

I'm intrigued by the news every day -- that is what it's like to be a professional news junkie. "Professional" because I'm still working on a couple of projects every week. The (a) reporters and (b) activists I work with are continuing to (a) expose abuses of power and (b) stimulate the entrepreneurial initiatives that may ultimately help save humanity.

These are impressive activities in the present circumstance. My colleagues are working from home, isolated from colleagues, and dependent on the Internet to get the information they need and distribute their messages.

Some of the other news, I see, includes that pet adoptions are spiking; one report notes you can get a dog that requires a lot of exercise, which is good if you like to get out yourself; or a dog that is content to sit around and watch movies with you.

I'm no expert on dogs but I wonder if there are any who like to obsess over numerical patterns.

Another story suggested that the herd of 200 wild goats that broke loose near San Jose apparently had grown tired of sheltering in place.

***

Not being one who responds to the "stages" of emotion as peddled by "experts" on such matters does not mean I can't appreciate the humor of it all. It doesn't offend me at all (I like numbers); rather it amuses me.

Especially the riffs on the dark side.

[Doctor Hibbert: "Now a little death anxiety is normal. You can expect to go through five stages. The first is denial..." 

Homer: "No way, because I'm not dying." 

Doctor Hibbert: "...second is anger." 

Homer: (enraged) "Why you little!" 

Doctor Hibbert: "After that comes fear." 

Homer: (worried) "What's after fear? What's after fear?" 

Doctor Hibbert:" Bargaining." 

Homer: "Doc, you gotta get me outta this. I'll make it worth your while." 

Doctor Hibbert: "Finally acceptance." 

Homer: "Well, we all gotta go sometime." 

Doctor Hibbert: "Mr. Simpson your progress astounds me." ]


-- Matt Groening

-30-

No comments: