Wednesday, May 06, 2020

What We Didn't Know Then

On a daily basis now, the evidence is merging that Corona-V was spreading among human populations weeks or months before we in the public were told anything.

Indeed, scientists and public health officials were in the dark too.

If I were to investigate that early incubation period, I'd want to know what the U.S. intelligence agencies have in their files.

We've been down this path before; the intel community gets early warnings signs of challenges to our national security, largely from electronic surveillance and human sources on the ground in places like China. But they don't share this knowledge with us.

Typically, we have to wait many years, if ever, to review declassified material that would help us understand the who, what, why, where, when and how of anything like this.

***

It is extremely weird to have retired into a situation like this. In my naiveté, I had anticipated a period of quiet reflection, relaxing entertainment, and an escape from the frantic work style that characterized my 50+ years on the job.

None of that has actually come to pass.

So for me and everyone else in a similar situation, adaptation is called for. Since many are observing that the days are tending to blur into each other, there is the app several people have recommended to me that calculates the number of days we've each been alive.

My day count is apparently 26, 686 at this point, which equates to a lot of sunsets, hamburgers, carrots, business meetings, random thoughts and fantasies by this point.

I certainly wish there was more to show, in the form of social good, for all of those days gone by. No known calculator could account for all the time I have frittered away!

***

Not to worry. I may have another 4,500 or so days left. So it is time to get back to work. I've offered to help various reporters I know on investigative stories they are working on. One will be appearing later this month and I will blog about it then.

I'll also participate in helping to organize the 25th anniversary of Salon.com alter this year.

Salon was one of the dozen or so formative institutions/jobs/experiences for me in those 26,686 days and nights. A large group of people helped establish a San Francisco tradition; I was one of them.

To the best of my ability, I'll continue to post these Facebook essays in an attempt to capture what life is like during a pandemic.

To that extent, l offer this novel deal to Corona-V:

I'll stop if you will.

-30-


No comments: