Sunday, September 06, 2020

Patriotism and Peer Learning

 

Writing this from beautiful San Jose, I admit that I am stunned and angered by Trump's insulting attacks on the people serving in our military.

Even those of us who opposed the war in Vietnam did not question the loyalty of our peers who chose (or were drafted) to serve in the military in the '60s.

My own cousin Dan, one of my closest friends, went to Vietnam even as I was marching in protests against the war. I worried about his safety. He later pointed out to me that he was fighting for my right to free speech.

Back here, I got to know the leaders of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, including Ron Kovic ("Born on the Fourth of July"), smoked pot with them, and developed a new appreciation of their commitment and their service.

After the war, I could tell that Dan had been changed by what he saw and did over there. He didn't really talk about it, and he went into security work in the Midwest. Around the same time I came home from overseas service, too, in the Peace Corps and moved away from the Midwest.

Many years passed when we were not that close, but when I started blogging in 2006, Dan showed up as one of my most loyal readers. He often posted comments reflecting his conservative Republican beliefs, but he also mixed his critiques with praise for my logic and story-telling ability.

As our parents passed away, and his younger brother died as well, we got in closer touch. As his father was dying, he arranged for me to speak with him by phone, so I could tell him how much I had always appreciated him being my Uncle.

Dan passed himself last winter; he didn't tell us he was ill. He died quietly with his family at his side, ever stoic, ever the loyal American.

In Dan's memory, I denounce this cowardly bully in the White House. He is not worthy of our soldiers' salute or the flag they fight for.

***

Watching my grandchildren trying to adjust to the Covid-19 world, I am reminded of several instances of peer-to-peer learning. The only way I passed calculus as a math major in college was that a friend counseled me the night before the final exam.

I would have failed without his help.

Almost a half-century later, my son who was a star soccer player at a tough inner-city high school, counseled an older boy who loved fĂștbol but had too low a GPA (0.00) to play on the team. They became friends -- a wiry white freshman and a large Latino kid, probably undocumented and many years older but stuck at the freshman level in school.

What I remember best is how grateful the teacher was for Aidan's help with that boy. "He won't listen to me; anything you can do, just do it!"

Now I see these little learning pods forming all over El Cerrito and San Jose and elsewhere around the country. The politically correct set denounces them as privileged enclaves, but many times money is not even involved.

In fact, they are the essence of what community means and it is very good for the kids.

***

Sigh. On to the news.

Brazil Fires Burn World’s Largest Tropical Wetlands at ‘Unprecedented’ Scale -- The blazes in Brazil, often intentionally set, have scorched a record-setting 10 percent of the Pantanal, one of the most biologically diverse habitats on the planet. (New York Times)

Pandemic learning pods are here to stay — and could disrupt education -- Nobody working in education today can escape the increasingly popular phenomenon in which families band together and hire a private tutor to offer in-person learning to a small group of children. (Washington Post)

Trump calls on Fox News to fire Jennifer Griffin, reporter who confirmed some parts of Atlantic story (CNN)

Jennifer Griffin defended by Fox News colleagues after Trump Twitter attack over confirmation of Atlantic reporting (Washington Post)

* Trump has repeatedly questioned why Americans who served in Vietnam went to war (CNN)

FBI pondered whether Trump was ‘a Manchurian candidate elected,’ former agent alleges in new book -- Peter Strzok’s book, “Compromised,” describes the FBI’s investigation into Trump and his ties with Russia. (Washington Post)

***

It's supposed to reach 106 degrees here today...

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took

But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me, too
What a wonderful world this would be

-- Sam Cooke

-30-

No comments: