Wednesday, September 02, 2020

Rocket Man?


This will be a short post. Surgery apparently successful; now recovering. Will try to write longer entries again soon. 

Here's some curated news:

** ‘Here We Go Again’: A Second Virus Wave Grips Spain -- The coronavirus is spreading much faster in Spain than anywhere else in Europe. After a relative lull during the summer, experts fear it signals a new surge across the continent. (New York Times)

Cornered, Trump tries to foment a race war (Washington Post)

Trump isn’t calling for unity. He’s stoking rage. (Washington Post)

Trump spouted numerous baseless conspiracy theories and attacked Black Lives Matter protesters while claiming his own supporters are peaceful demonstrators during a lengthy interview with Fox News. [HuffPost]

Upper Midwest emerges as most crucial Biden-Trump battleground--Both candidates are escalating their attention on an area seen as the most important region of the country in deciding November’s election. (Washington Post)

San Francisco’s Chinatown has been hit hard by the pandemic, but there’s hope in seeing how it has weathered a shrinking economy and xenophobia in the past. [San Francisco Chronicle]

* in a decidedly non-baseball-type score, the San Francisco Giants beat the Colorado Rockies, 23-5 last night. (DW)

A man flying a jetpack was reported by pilots 3,000 feet above Los Angeles (CNN)

She packed my bags last night pre-flight
Zero hour nine AM
And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the earth so much I miss my wife
It's lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight
And I think it's gonna be a long long time
'Till touch down brings me round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh no no no I'm a rocket man
Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone

-- Elton John

No comments: