Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Teaching One Another

Shadowing my career as a reporter was a second career as a teacher -- in the Peace Corps, at U-C Berkeley, Stanford and SF State. I taught English overseas and journalism here.

Later on, I taught memoir writing to senior citizens as I was beginning to become a senior myself.

Now, at the urging of my journalist daughter, who is also a novelist and former teacher, I may become involved in teaching an online journalism course for high school students. (More on that later.)

My only previous experience with teaching high school was in Afghanistan, a very different environment. There, a major challenge was getting the students to school. They had planting season, harvesting season, and work year round. The weather was difficult and many of them had to walk a long way to get to the school building, which had no roof.

There were few supplies other than what Peace Corps had sent with us.

And literacy was so low that few students -- perhaps ten percent -- had parents who could read or write. But both the parents and their children were highly motivated to learn, so much so that some parents tried to bribe me to give their kids passing grades.

I trust things will be a bit less stressful here.

As all teachers know, you get much more from your students than you give to them, ultimately, but that does not mean that it isn't a ton of work to teach. There are few people whose commitment I respect more than teachers -- at all levels.

I'll have to check my energy level before committing to this new plan, but I am inclined to do it.

***

Later this morning, I am scheduled to have my second cataract surgery. Day by day, my ability to see through my right eye has been improving, so now it's the left eye's turn. My ophthalmologist says for years I have been looking through the equivalent of two jars of honey.

But now I can (literally) see the light at the end of the tunnel, I think.

As for that ever pesky news...

Two major Antarctic glaciers are tearing loose from their restraints, scientists say --The loss of the enormous Thwaites glacier could trigger the broader collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet, which contains enough ice to eventually raise sea levels by about 10 feet. (WashPo)

While Trump defies coronavirus safety guidelines at rally, TV networks exercise caution -- As Trump continues to hold campaign rallies indoors with his supporters unmasked and close together, the major media companies including CNN, ABC and Fox News stopped sending their crews out inside this weekend out of concern for their Covid-19 safety. This is unprecedented in American history. (CNN)

It's peak hurricane season, and the Atlantic Ocean has five active tropical cyclones at the same time for only the second time in history.The only other time there were five active tropical cyclones -- hurricane, tropical storm and/or tropical depression -- in the Atlantic was in 1971. (CNN)

Scientists spot potential sign of life in Venus atmosphere -- An international team of astronomers say it has not directly detected life but that the presence of phosphine can only be explained by living microbes. (WashPo)

Air quality across Oregon was listed as “hazardous” or “very unhealthy,” and a dense smoke advisory remained in effect for much of the state. Similar warnings were issued for Washington state. (WashPo) 

* The fires have have killed at least 33 people in California, Oregon and Washington. (HuffPost)

Michigan State University has requested that all of its local students self-quarantine for two weeks due to “an alarming surge” in COVID-19 cases. (HuffPost)

Trump Health Aide Pushes Bizarre Conspiracies and Warns of Armed Revolt -- Michael R. Caputo told a Facebook audience without evidence that left-wing hit squads were being trained for insurrection and accused C.D.C. scientists of “sedition.” (NYT)

A chunk of ice twice the size of Manhattan has broken off Greenland in the last two years (CNN). The country that the Climate-Denier-in-Chief wants to buy suffers from global warming. (DW)

The Arctic Is Shifting to a New Climate Because of Global Warming -- Open water and rain, rather than ice and snow, are becoming typical of the region, a new study has found. *

Is There a Black Hole in Our Backyard? -- Astrophysicists have recently begun hatching plans to find out just how weird Planet Nine might be. (NYT)

The president who says coronavirus will go away makes same prediction about global warming -- On both, science disagrees. (WashPo)

Shinzo Abe Vowed Japan Would Help Women ‘Shine.’ They’re Still Waiting. (NYT)

Minnesota Seemed Ripe for a Trump Breakout. It Has Not Arrived. -- Minnesota was a near miss for Donald Trump in 2016. But new polling shows him well behind where he finished four years ago in a state he views as a prime pickup opportunity.(NYT)

***

A guy with bad cataracts runs into a light pole. "Hi honey," he says.

Okay, maybe it's time for a hymn:

Why me Lord, what have I ever done
To deserve even one
Of the pleasures I've known
Tell me Lord, what did I ever do
That was worth loving you
Or the kindness you've shown.
Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so
Help me Jesus I know what I am
Now that I know that I've need you so
Help me Jesus, my soul's in your hand.
-- Kris Kristofferson

-30-

No comments: