Friday, November 27, 2020

As Our Narratives Merge


In San Francisco this Thanksgiving, surrounded by grandchildren, I was again struck by the uniqueness of each person on this planet. Our DNA is ours and ours only, even identical twins present variabilities, and we all have unique fingerprints, among other identifiers.

Where this leads me is to our individual stories -- I believe those do not duplicate themselves either. Having gathered and sorted thousands of stories over the decades, each stands out in detail from every other.

There are patterns, of course, as we go through the stages of life and adapt to our environments amidst the predictably random occurrences that populate each person's narrative. By sharing my ever-evolving narrative here on Facebook, I'm conscious that I'm not only creating my story with you, you are sharing bits of your narratives with me.

Our stories are mixing and affecting the next chapters as they unfold mutually. At least along one track, we are conjoined. We take this journey together.

Most of my writing career, I've worked with partners, co-authors. We not only gathered the information together, we blended our voices in the telling of the story. Sometimes it got better in the process; sometimes both of our voices got lost.

Sort of like relationships. They don't all work out in the end but when they do the harmony is beautiful.

Over the years, I've grown more particular about which writers I can pair with to execute a writing project. Part of it is instinct; somehow I can tell our voices will blend, or at least there's a good chance that will happen. Part is luck.

But it is increasingly rare to find such a potential collaborator so almost all of the time nowadays, I try just to make it on my own.

***

On to the news...

Biden Calls for Unity in Thanksgiving Address -- President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. stressed the importance of unity and encouraged Americans to be careful with Thanksgiving celebrations this year to help curb the spread of the coronavirus. (AP)

* Friendsgiving is an epidemiologist’s nightmare. But its absence hits some young people hard. (WashPo)

Coronavirus deaths reach ominous levels unseen since early in the pandemic (WashPo)

U.S. Economy Stumbles as the Coronavirus Spreads Widely -- Claims for new unemployment benefits and other data suggest that the recent increase in infections is threatening the economic recovery. (NYT)

Baseless Trump claims turn Ga. Senate runoffs into a ‘high-wire act’ for GOP (WashPo)

Offices and Malls Will Look Different After Covid-19 (WSJ)

Mexican feminists occupy federal building, create shelter, demand officials end violence against women (WashPo)

Disney is laying off 32,000 employees (CNN)

* Trump’s pardon of Michael Flynn is a parting disgrace (WashPo)

Social Media’s Liability Shield Is Under Assault -- Section 230 is facing threats unlike anything in its 24-year history, with potentially significant consequences for websites that host user content (WSJ)

Food banks across the Bay Area are racing to keep up with increased demand for food and volunteers this holiday season. (KQED)

“The Drudge Report once cycled through 40-50 links in a single five-hour period. The page is now updated only once or twice a day and almost never reacts to breaking news, as if it’s being run by someone who simply doesn’t care anymore.” (Nieman Lab)

Macron’s Rightward Tilt, Seen in New Laws, Sows Wider Alarm in France -- One bill would reach into Muslim life, and another would place new restrictions on filming of police. Critics say they’re part of a drift toward repressive government policies. (NYT)

***

'Til I Can Make It On My Own

I'll need time
To get you off my mind.
And I may sometimes bother you;
Try to be in touch with you;
Even ask too much of you from time to time. 
Now and then,
Lord, you know I'll need a friend
Till I get used to losing you.
Let me keep on using you
Till I can make it on my own.
I'll get by,
But no matter how I try
There'll be times you know I'll call.
Chances are my tears will fall,
And I'll have no pride at all from time to time. 
But they say,
Oh, there'll be a brighter day,
But till then I'll lean on you.
That's all I mean to do
Til I can make it on my own.
-- Billy Sherrill / George Richey / Tammy Wynette
-30-

No comments: