Thursday, April 08, 2021

Against the Wind



Arguably the most important news stories of the day are that DNA-based methods are helping to identify the long-lost remains of soldiers lost in WW2, and that indirect talks between the U.S. and Iran are proving productive.

Name me an investigative reporter or anyone else (except serial killers) who doesn't like it when any kind of cold case is solved. And personally I've always felt indirect conversations are the best way to get things done.

Meanwhile, I continue to vacation in the south of France, oops, California. My traveling companions are all much younger and more active than I am, so we take a folding chair with us wherever we go. When we reach a suitable spot they position the chair away from the wind and place me in it along with trail mix and a water bottle.

You see I'm much better at running before the wind than tacking.

Dressed suitably for the beach -- layers and layers of coats, a baseball cap, wraparound sunglasses and mittens -- I sit there for hours waving at the passersby like one of those mechanical kittens in Tokyo.

So here's an observation. As Americans are emerging from the long lockdown, the research indicating that we've gained a few pounds each is quite apparent. I mean, here in the land of movie stars most of the partiers look more like The Big Bopper than The Thin Man. 

Another observation is Americans sure take a lot of gear to the beach. I can't tell you how many people I observe weighed down by surfboards, coolers, boogie boards, towels, picnic baskets, umbrellas, tents, flippers, snorkels, wetsuits, and other paraphernalia as they pass me by.

Being as we Americans are a friendly folk, many of those passing my stationary position naturally try to acknowledge my friendly wave, but having only two hands, both of which are otherwise occupied, they nod instead. They may also be smiling but we're all masked so who knows.

That friendly nod from one beachgoer yesterday proved disastrous when a delicately perched sunhat flew off her head and away with the mighty winds that engulf us. I would have sprung gallantly up to retrieve it for her but springing quickly into action is not exactly in my wheelhouse at present.

Getting up to a standing position usually requires a degree of planning as well as a dose of good luck. Should I rise too precipitously, I get light-headed, which feels like I'm having more of those pesky mini-strokes or maybe it's just that my imagination is becoming over-active again.

Did I mention that having an overactive imagination was a frequent diagnosis from my many years of therapy? Mind you, I listened closely and tried really hard to let in what my shrinks were trying to tell me -- but only one counselor truly got through.

That one said, "I've listened to you talk on and on, week after week, but I can't say I have any idea whatsoever as to who you actually are."

That struck me as oddly constructive criticism, so I never went back to her again.

Meanwhile when anyone tries to give me oddly constructive criticism these days, I turn to the port, because I can only hear on the starboard side.

***

Today's news, which definitely has an overactive imagination:

 In indirect talks in Vienna, the U.S. and Iran agreed to try to synchronize Washington’s lifting of sanctions and Iran’s limiting of uranium enrichment. (NYT)

CDC Says More Virulent British Strain Of Coronavirus Now Dominant In U.S. (NPR)

* One in three Covid-19 survivors has gone on to be diagnosed with a neurological or psychiatric condition within six months of infection, a major study has found. (HuffPost)

* Vaccine Refusal May Put Herd Immunity At Risk, Researchers Warn -- One in four Americans say they won't get a coronavirus vaccine. Researchers say it could keep the nation from reaching a critical tipping point. (NPR)

Modern Crime-Solving Methods vs. the Mystery of World War II Deaths -- DNA-based techniques that have successfully tracked down elusive serial killers may soon be used to help identify thousands of American service members “known but to God.” (NYT)

Goaded by a Robot, Students Took Greater Risks Than They Otherwise Would (WSJ)

Biden makes all adults eligible for a vaccine on April 19 (AP)

Jailed Kremlin critic Navalny's weight dropping rapidly, his lawyer says (Reuters)

Biden to announce new executive actions on guns (CNN)

Defense argues George Floyd saying ‘I can’t breathe’ was a form of resisting arrest (WaPo)

Police keep using force against black citizens in Rochester. And the demands for change keep growing. (WaPo)

The Biden administration announced on Wednesday it planned to provide $235 million in U.S. aid to the Palestinians, restarting funding for the United Nations agency supporting refugees and restoring other assistance cut off by Trump. (Reuters)

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) asked former President Trump for a blanket pardon during the final days of Trump's administration. The idea didn't gain any ground with White House lawyers, however, and it's unclear if Gaetz spoke directly to Trump about it. Gaetz is under investigation for alleged sex trafficking and having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl. He denies it. [NYT, HuffPost]

* Scientists call for new probe into COVID-19 origins with or without China (Reuters)

Saks Fifth Avenue will phase out sales of animal-fur products, joining other retailers such as Macy's that are responding to growing anti-fur sentiment among shoppers. (NPR)

* Celebrity zookeeper and animal TV show host Jack Hanna has been diagnosed with dementia and will retire from public life, his family said. (AP)

‘We Are Doomed’: Devastation From Storms Fuels Migration in Honduras -- Honduras has barely begun to recover from two hurricanes that hit late last year. With relatively little disaster relief from the U.S., many are heading for the border. (NYT)

China builds advanced weapons systems using American chip technology (WaPo)

* Could You Go for a Month Without Coffee? (Advice/WSJ)

* Policing is not really on trial in Minnesota. That’s too bad. (Opinion/WaPo)

Facebook does not plan to notify half-billion users affected by data leak (Reuters)

Why Stanford Should Clone Itself -- If elite colleges are serious about diversity of class and race, there’s a simple solution. (Opinion/NYT)

Your Weather Forecast Update: Warmer Climate Will Be The New 'Normal' (NPR)

Hong Kong’s economic transparency looks to be the next victim of Chinese authoritarianism (WaPo)

A prosecutor filed 33 charges against PG&E, including recklessly causing a fire that injured six firefighters, for its role in the Kincade Fire north of San Francisco in 2019. (NYT)

San Francisco School Board Rescinds Controversial School Renaming Plan (NPR)

Through pilot programs, cities like San Francisco are giving checks to artists in hopes of allowing them to focus on their creative output instead of having a second job. (NYT)

Thousand-year-old Native American rock carvings have been vandalized in the Chattahoochee National Forest (CNN)

* One week into the fantasy baseball season, the Mud Lake Mafia have soared into second place in the Champs of Summer league. (DW)

17-Year-Old Asks Friend What It Means When Guy You Like Wants Blanket Pardon (The Onion)

***

It's happened once again
I thought I saw your face
Across the crowded room
I tried to close my eyes
And slowly count to three
And when I opened them
I hope it's you I see
Is it my imagination
Or did you look away
Did you smile at me before you look away
Is it only wishful thinking
Could it be a magic spell
Are you just a dream
Or are you really there
I looked up at the stars
Can't help but see you there
Sparkling eyes
I tried to close my eyes
And slowly count to three
And when I opened them
I hope it's you I see

Songwriters: Alvin Nuñez / Tony Lambino
-30-

No comments: