Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Welcome to the Metaverse

It’s poised to be the next stop on your online migration, more immersive and multi-dimensional than the linear experiences you’ve had to date.

Your identity is your avatar. Virtual reality tools like glasses and gloves are under development to provide a richer, deeper digital life. 

What the metaverse represents is everyman’s version of the space travel favored by today’s billionaires. The first Japanese billionaire has just returned from his space voyage, having followed Musk and Bezos on their test runs to escape Earth in the age of catastrophic climate change.

Most of us are not and will never be billionaires, nor will we visit outer space, but all of can go to the metaverse. Think of it as a sort of Wally’s World from “National Lampoon Vacation” right at your fingertips. 

Facebook is counting on you doing just that, as it transforms itself into “Meta.” The giant social network is buying up companies that can aid this transition, and also shutting down pages like that of an artist who had been using the term “metaverse” for a decade. (Zuckerberg’s spaceship later apologized and reinstated her page.)

Virtual living has received a huge boost during the pandemic, of course, as we’ve all been more or less locked down and isolated from each other in real life. I couldn’t do what I do, for example — publish daily essays and collated headlines to an audience without the existing web, including good old Facebook, and I’m grateful for that access. 

But soon I’ll apparently be coming to you via my avatar, which I assure you will be younger and handsomer than its namesake.

And it won’t have wispy white hair either.

Then again, each new step as we edge ourselves further into simulated reality and away from the physical world gives me pause. There is still — and always will be — advantages to the actual sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touch of the real world that technology, no matter how advanced, cannot replicate.

At least not for me.

Then again, the metaverse could be the thing that changes my mind, so bring it on!

TODAY’s NEWS:

TODAY’S LYRICS

“Pick Me Up on Your Way Down”

Willie NelsonMerle Haggard

Songwriter: Harlan Howard

You were mine for just a while

Now your putting on the style

And you never once looked back

To your home across the track

You're the gossip of the town

But my heart can still be found

Where you tossed it on the ground

Pick me up on your way down

Pick me up on your way down

When your blue and all alone

When their glamor starts to bore you

Come back where you belong

When you learn these things are true

I'll be waiting here for you

When you tumble to the ground

Pick me up on your way down

They have changed your attitude

Made you haughty and so rude

Your new friends can take the blame

Underneath you're still the same

You may be their pride and joy

But they'll find another toy

When your new love can't be found

Pick me up on your way down

Pick me up on your way down

When your blue and all alone

When their glamor starts to bore you

Come back where you belong

When you learn these things are true

I'll be waiting here for you

When you tumble to the ground

Pick me up on your way down 

No comments: