Saturday, October 08, 2022

Male Culture

 When I turned the key in the ignition Friday morning, along with the sound of the car’s engine came two other sounds — the air conditioner, which I turned off, and the radio, which I turned down but left on.

My grandson as with me and we both listened avidly.

It was the local sports radio channel, with a popular call-in show featuring the usual suspects — hosts who babble on in a half-witted manner punctuated by calls from audience members who often sound like they must have dropped out of school somewhere around the 8th grade.

Normally I avoid this type of thing like the plague, probably because it makes me feel embarrassed to be a man, especially a man who likes sports. Why do so many have to sound so dumb when we discuss this area of great passion to us? 

But I kept listening because the topic was simply too salacious to ignore.

Draymond Green, one of the stars of the local NBA team, the Golden State Warriors, had been caught on video slugging a teammate during practice. The reason for this attack was unknown at the time of the radio program. And Green and the Warriors are not just any basketball team, they are the reigning NBA champions, four times over, arguably one of the greatest pro streaks for any franchise of any time.

Green is the enforcer on the team, the bad guy who gets under his opponents’ skin. He gets lots of technical fouls and occasionally is ejected from games. He is perhaps the most hated player in the NBA, outside of the Bay Area of course. He is also a very talented basketball player and a key to the team’s winning streak.

At the time I’m publishing this, there’s no word yet on how the Warriors are going to handle this situation.

Not as a comment on Green specifically, but in life generally, I’ve always been the type of person who believes in second chances. But I also have learned that once you give certain personalities a second chance, they may require a third, a fourth, and so on. At some point, you realize all you are doing is enabling a repeat offender.

I don’t know if this is one of those situations for Green and the Warriors but it may be. There are certain lines you don’t cross in male culture. This is one of them.

CURATED LINKS:

No comments: