Friday, January 13, 2023

Snowflakes in the Storm

Recently, while speaking to a group of incoming interns at a local media company, I found myself trying to make the point that the particulars of their individual lives will matter, sometimes a lot, during their upcoming careers as journalists.

To illustrate my point, for some reason I compared them to snowflakes. 

It was an odd moment, admittedly, but hear me out.

Each winter, even though about one septillion (or a trillion trillion) such snow crystals fall from the sky, the scientific consensus is that the odds that any two of them are identical is effectively zero.

There are far fewer of us people, I reasoned, trying to suggest that the interns were at least as unique as snowflakes and that that singular fact should inform the development of their journalistic voices going forward.

For almost the entirety of my 57 years in journalism, I’ve been trying to help guide younger, aspiring journalists. My inclination to do so has followed me job to job, company to company, over the decades.

And even now into retirement.

So for better or worse, by now there are at least hundreds of people out there practicing the craft who were at least marginally exposed to my ideas (and bad analogies) as to how to balance objectivity, fairness, persistence, commitment, thoroughness and pattern recognition in the gathering of facts and the telling of stories.

Heaven knows they are going to need all the help they can get. When it comes to trying to be an honest journalist in America, they will need to overcome the powerful headwind of the relentless conspiracy theories that drive suspicion, ignorance and extremism.

And there is nothing beautiful or unique about that.

LINKS:

 

No comments: