Friday, March 03, 2023

Into the Sea (Afghan Report 57)

 NOTE: The stories are tragic but all too familiar: A boat carrying refugees desperate to find a better life sets off for Europe or America. The voyages mainly occur under cover of darkness and they are extremely hazardous. Often they fail to reach their goal. 

In the past few days, almost lost in the flow of the news, yet another such incident occurred. A boat crammed with men, women and children from Asia hit a rock off the coast of Italy and overturned. More than 100 people lost their lives, at least 80 of them from Afghanistan.

My Afghan friend says this sad news will in no way reduce the attempts of his countrymen to escape, because they are desperate. Here is his report.

Dear David:

For the people of Afghanistan, we just want to flee, to get away from the land that has brought nothing but suffering, sadness, violence and hunger to its citizens. That is why migration and escape is the substance of almost every conversation with any group of Afghans. They ask each other about new ways of reaching other countries, discuss changes in the immigration situation, and share any immigration opportunities they have heard of, even if they are rumors.

For example, during the week, I have many conversations with my family members, my work colleague Timur, and my friend Narges. My mother's biggest wish is that I can leave Afghanistan and she repeats this wish in her conversations with me constantly. One of Timur's daily questions is whether I have received any new information about the opportunity to immigrate somewhere. Narges is always looking for scholarships in countries other than Afghanistan and wants me to help her write her applications.

Personally, whenever I feel depressed, I think maybe escaping to anywhere but here would help. 

Just an hour ago, my brother called and asked about the email I sent to the Brazilian embassy in Tehran six months ago. A year ago, Brazil announced that it would give 60,000 humanitarian visas to Afghans. I told him the same as always – that I have received no response.

Whenever one of my friends or family members reaches the point of final desperation and decides to take one of the extremely dangerous illegal paths of escape, I try to dissuade them. But at that point they prefer death to living in Afghanistan, so they are not afraid of fleeing into the valleys, drowning in the sea, falling into the hands of kidnappers, and freezing in the mountains. 

They simply decide that to take a leap in the dark is better than to live like this.

NOTE: This is the latest in an ongoing series of conversations with my Afghan friend about life under the Taliban.

LINKS:

No comments: