Monday, April 17, 2023

The Inside Story at 48

 Nostalgia isn’t really my thing. Looking back has its virtue, I know, but the present is perplexing enough and there is always the future to consider. So most of the time I really prefer to look ahead. That’s why I write these daily essays about current events and trends rather than writing a memoir.

But every now and again, something comes up that calls for an exception to the rule. 

***

(I first published this a year ago. The title has been updated.)

On Saturday, my co-author Howard Kohn and I returned to the site of the former Rolling Stone office at 625 Third Street in Soma where we wrote our three-part series about the Patty Heart kidnapping 47 years ago.

It was called “The Inside Story” and was our big break. We were both 28 at the time.

Our former colleague, Ben Fong-Torres, wrote a song about the Hearst saga and performed it at a nightclub when we were in attendance. 

In Ben’s words:
"I wrote … songs for amusement…at Rolling Stone magazine in the Seventies…at least two (of my) songs were performed. One, to the tune of Bob Dylan's Hurricane (The Ballad of Reuben Carter), celebrated the magazine's big scoop in 1975 on the Patricia Hearst/SLA kidnap and aftermath. I vaguely recall doing the song, with real musicians behind me, on a couple of occasions, including a nightclub, the Boarding House:

Doorbell rang out in the Berkeley night
Into the apartment house they burst
Knocked down Steven Weed with hardly a fight
And made their getaway with Patty Hearst!

Here comes the story of the Rolling Stone
Of David Weir and of Howard Kohn
They found the trail of Patty Hearst
And they wrote about it first."

Although Howard and I have remained close friends and colleagues to this day, and worked on countless projects together over the years, especially in Hollywood, we never co-authored any other major stories after the Hearst trilogy.

And our recent visit to the old office building was one of the first times we have been back there together since the magazine left San Francisco for New York in 1977.

The same building now serves as the local headquarters for Ubisoft, the French video game company.

LINKS:

Today’s Lyrics:

“The Older I Get”

Sung by Alan Jackson

Songwriters: Adam Wright / Hailey Whitters / Sarah Turner

The older I get
The more I think
You only get a minute, better live while you're in it
'Cause it's gone in a blink
And the older I get
The truer it is
It's the people you love, not the money and stuff
That makes you rich

And if they found a fountain of youth
I wouldn't drink a drop and that's the truth
Funny how it feels I'm just getting to my best years yet

The older I get
The fewer friends I have
But you don't need a lot when the ones that you got
Have always got your back
And the older I get
The better I am
At knowing when to give
And when to just not give a damn

And if they found a fountain of youth
I wouldn't drink a drop and that's the truth
Funny how it feels I'm just getting to my best years yet
The older I get

And I don't mind all the lines
From all the times I've laughed and cried
Souvenirs and little signs of the life I've lived

The older I get
The longer I pray
I don't know why, I guess that I've
Got more to say
And the older I get
The more thankful I feel
For the life I've had and all the life I'm living still

No comments: