Monday, April 03, 2023

The Open Door

On Saturday afternoon, as a friend and I returned from lunch at a local cafe and I was trying to calm Betsy, the dog who was barking loudly, we noticed that there was a bird hopping around in the kitchen.

My friend suggested I get a broom to help usher the bird out of the house. As I searched for a broom, he opened the front door, and the bird hopped out of the house to freedom on its own.

So that is all there is to the story. The bird got away, I didn’t find a broom, and Betsy finally stopped barking. It was an odd twist to a normal day.

***

As I was thinking about this minor drama, my mind turned to, variously, the indictment of Trump, the admission by Senator John Fetterman that he suffers from depression, and the state of our world generally.

We’ll have to wait until tomorrow for the Trump case, but I don’t like the prosector’s prospects. He has made a huge mistake in my estimation, by bringing these charges, because the spectacle is going to overwhelm the process, which is way too New York for my Midwestern blood.

As for Fetterman, I am familiar with depression following a stroke. Having experienced that kind of event leaves you feeling helpless in ways others cannot imagine.

You turn down invitations to appear in public, you shrink from participating in normal life, and you’re just, frankly, scared.

You really need friends and family to help you make a comeback. I feel deeply for Fetterman on a personal level. Hang in there, buddy. It gets better, trust me, but only slowly. Your brain comes around, but so do the problems.

That’s because in general, the state of our world sucks. But in my view, that is not any kind of reason to give up. After all, on the one hand, we are all like the bird, trapped and chirping for help.

On the other hand, there is always an open front door, thanks to a friend. Go through it and feel the fresh air on your face! Spring is in the air. 

No links today. 

No comments: