Sunday, September 17, 2023

Small Talk

Back when I was younger and attending social gatherings on an occasional basis, I thought that I hated small talk. It seemed like the kind of meaningless jabbering that people did just to fill a void, rather than the meaningful dialogue that might actually have addressed the problems of the day.

I must have been such a bore!

At those events, in San Francisco, L.A., New York, Washington and elsewhere, strangers would ask me what I “did” and I would usually answer “I am a writer.” Unless it was a gathering of writers, many of those strangers, if they were males and had a drink in their hand would perk up and reply: “Oh, what a great hobby! I’m going to write a book myself someday — I just don’t have time right now. I’m too busy.”

This was most definitely a buzz-killer for me and our acquaintance was certain to end soon after.

But that was only at gatherings on this side of the pond. On similar occasions, anywhere in Europe, when someone discovered I was a writer, they tended to want to discuss ideas and theories, including the nature of writing itself.

If anything, they intellectualized my craft even more than I did. I felt like I had landed in a room filled with under-employed academics.

Then there was yet another sort of social gathering — primarily in South, Central and Eastern Asia, Mexico or Central America. At these events, as a Western writer I was treated as a celebrity, a hero, someone of significance, regardless of how I might have been thinking of myself in that random moment.

It is quite strange now, thinking back on all of these random moments, about the difference between actually connecting with somebody in person and connecting via the words, sentences and paragraphs you create.

Writing can never be a complete substitute for true friendship — it is more like a casual friendship. To be a real friend, I’ve learned, you gotta be good at the small talk.

It matters.

P.S. Read today’s top link. And thank those of you who subscribe!

LINKS:

  • The End of the Subscription Era is Coming (Medium)

  • Hurricane Lee makes landfall in Nova Scotia (Independent)

  • U.A.W. Starts Strike Small, but Repercussions Could Prove Far-Reaching (NYT)

  • For first time in history, union workers strike against all Big Three automakers (CNN)

  • Why you shouldn't be surprised that autoworkers are asking for a 40% pay raise (NPR)

  • McCarthy-Gaetz feud hits fever pitch (The Hill)

  • Congress is in crisis. There’s no clear escape. (Politico)

  • Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis turns on ‘malignant narcissist’ ex-president (Guardian)

  • A Pride flag ban sparks accusations of betrayal in tiny Michigan city (WP)

  • A Jan. 6 rioter was convicted and sentenced in secret. No one will say why (AP)

  • McBride leads primary opponents in early polling (The Hill)

  • Threats emerge as witnesses show how Google built its empire (Politico)

  • The Taliban have detained 18 staff, including a foreigner, from an Afghanistan-based NGO, it says (AP)

  • Pakistani Police Detain Hundreds Of Afghan Citizens In Karachi (RFE)

  • Jann Wenner Defends His Legacy, and His Generation’s (NYT)

  • An ode to the newspaper sports section, as it gasps for air (WP)

  • Jann Wenner Removed From Rock Hall Board After Times Interview (NYT)

  • DeepMind discovers that AI large language models can optimize their own prompts (VentureBeat)

  • DeepMind’s cofounder: Generative AI is just a phase. What’s next is interactive AI. (MIT)

  • A test of artificial intelligence (Nature)

  • Yuval Noah Harari and Mustafa Suleyman on the future of AI (Economist)

  • Panhandler Really Appreciates It When People Make A Big Show Out Of Patting All Their Pockets (The Onion)

 

No comments: