Monday, January 15, 2024

All Smiles

 Sunday was a day of hope. When I got up, my ten-year-old granddaughter was busily cleaning up the house in anticipation of the arrival of a bunch of her friends for her birthday party.

By 11 a.m., I was driving into the city to meet up with my two youngest sons and their girlfriends for brunch.

We met in the Mission at a restaurant that just opened within the past month. It serves South American food.

Afterward, I migrated back to the East Bay to join in my granddaughter's birthday celebration and later to watch my childhood pro football team, the perpetually inept Detroit Lions, win a playoff game for the first tie in over three decades.

It is a new year. Kids and sports. All is good.

Tonight, the 2024 election cycle kicks off with the Iowa caucuses. There may be reasons to hope that our democracy will remain strong, but what happens tonight in Iowa is not likely to be one of them.

Why should the rest of us care what Iowans think anyway?

Because that is where America is centered.

HEADLINES:

No comments: