Thursday, February 08, 2024

The Dance


Watching my granddaughters twirl with the late afternoon sunlight yesterday, I momentarily forgot what I was going to write about for this news cycle.

They were performing a sort of improv combination of gymnastics and ballet and I was their primary audience.

They also were doing it without a care in the world, not about the Ukraine war, or Trump or the Middle East or climate change or the crisis at the border. They don’t know about any of that stuff yet, nor should they.

Now is their time to dance in the sunlight. There will be plenty of time to confront the abundant darkness around them in the future.

I harbor thoughts like these all the time, but usually in the context of the rest of us who do not qualify as naive kids but as battle-hardened adults. We need to dance in the sunlight too at times. I think especially of my peers in the news business trying to find new angles on the stories they report, write informative yet catchy headlines, and promote their work on social media.

Sometimes they should take a break and just dance, twirling around the room like my granddaughters. But if we’re not careful, life has a way of emptying the music out of us over time to the point we no longer remember how to jump, twirl, stretch or skip. Our movements through time and space become stiff and labored and we just watch the young enjoy life.

One way or another so much gets lost in the process. We stop taking risks in life and in love, trying to avoid the pain — but then nearing the end, as we look back on it all, we remember bit by bit what it was like before we got beaten down.

As the country songwriter says, “I could have missed the pain…but I’d have had to miss the dance.”

P.S. Don’t miss the dance.

(An earlier version of this one appeared two years ago in 2022.)

HEADLINES:

 

No comments: