Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Newsless Days and Nights

Unforeseen circumstances recently compelled me into a situation where I had no Internet access for six days and seven nights. Just writing that sentence reminds me of one of my favorite romantic comedies, “Six Days, Seven Nights,” with Harrison Ford and the late Anne Heche.

In the film, in case you’ve not seen it, an unlikely romance develops between two people forced to spend time alone together on a remote island after their small plane crashes in a thunderstorm.

My youngest daughter and I used to watch it on our Friday night movie nights while her brothers watched their preferred violent action movies in the other room.

But back to the present tense. There was no romance during my recent ordeal, but there was a great deal of open, empty time — silence, if you will.

It gave me some thinking space.

For years, I’ve filled my waking hours with the task of gathering, sorting and interpreting the news. If my dreams are any indication, I’ve spent most of my sleeping hours doing that too.

And to what end?

I know that a few of those who subscribe to this newsletter, or follow me on Facebook and other social media platforms appreciate that work, but that others care about and respond more to personal stories and memories, whether based in the news or not.

The first thing that struck me when I returned to the connected world and turned on CNN, was how little had changed while I was away. Yes, the headlines were different, some new voices had emerged, some old voices had disappeared, but fundamentally, nothing had changed.

The world was still ablaze with meaningless conflicts, unthinkable risks and angry debates. It still seemed to be sliding toward destruction. But it also was still filled with unspeakable beauty, endless hope, great acts of kindness and the sweetest of loves. 

It may take me a while to sort this all out but I trust you get my drift.

HEADLINES:

No comments: