Saturday, April 22, 2006

Fantasy

For me the main types of fantasy are: (1) baseball, (2) romantic, (3) sexual, (4) terror.

This time of year it is baseball that dominates my own fantasy world. I have a team in an online league, and though we are not doing well at the moment, I pay close attention every day to my lineup in the hope we will be improving soon. I also have a son playing little league baseball, a favorite MLB team, and a softball team. I fantasize about all of these teams winning a championship, although the odds seem long in all four cases this year.

Romantic fantasies for me involve falling deeply in love, something I have done a number of times in my life. Each story has its own narrative. My current love affair is ending very, very sadly, (which makes three in a row!) and I'm wondering whether maybe I may be approaching romance in the wrong way at this point in my life. But something about this particular romantic relationship sticks with me in a brand new way, leaving me wondering whether its final chapter has yet to be written. So there may be a ray of hope.

Sexual fantasies are so charged for all of us that I doubt anyone who has ever played around with words and stories, in print, online, over the phone, or just in the privacy of their own minds wouldn't agree that the chemistry between what human beings do with each other physically has a power that is so scary and so exciting that it is hardly surprising that we've managed to overpopulate the planet as a result.

As for the final category, terror, this is where we all imagine the worst. It makes me so sad to contemplate that we all may fall victim to imagining the worst, and therefore never achieve our best. But that is the America I live in, circa 2006.

No comments: