Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What Makes Journalism Matter?

The first story I published as a journalist was in my college newspaper, The Michigan Daily, when I was 19 years old. Since then I've written hundreds of stories for dozens of magazines and newspapers; three books, and several screenplays. I've also taught journalism from time to time at Stanford, U-C, Berkeley, and San Francisco State.

Young reporters often have asked me what are the values and components of great journalism. Following is a list I've compiled over the years of some of these factors:

Story Characteristics

Originality
Accuracy
Timeliness
Fairness
Relevance
Authoritativeness
Methodology Elements
Advancing the story
Maintaining confidentiality of sources
Transparency (identify sources and methodology)
Independence
Viewing events as part of processes or patterns
Penetrating secrecy
Objectives
Keeping power accountable
Employing compassion, empathy
Giving a voice to the voiceless
Understanding all sides – broadening debates
Foster critical thinking
Minimizing harm
Propose solutions / followup when appropriate

It's increasingly difficult, under the working conditions in today's media, to hold to these high standards. Yet, that has to be our mission, if journalism itself is to survive in a form we can be proud of.

No comments: