Saturday, August 26, 2006

Long Shot

Let's face it. Any day that begins with me taking a long jump shot from deep in the backyard that goes swish is off to a good start. Yes, it's foggy, but it is also a weekend. The pace at work has been frenetic lately, which is a good thing. What I've loved about start-ups this past decade is the excitement of the chase. Once you've set goals, the race is on. There's always more to do than the team is capable of -- the perfect environment for multitaskers. As my silly post last night reveals, I can rarely settle my brain down for long because it has an order of its own, a disorder perhaps, that demands that 5, 10 or 20 projects or ideas be explored simultaneously.

Of course, when one project reaches a critical stage, it takes over central stage in the frontal lobe, demanding resolution.

Almost as soon as I swished, the number 30 popped into my head. Do you remember when I posted about 30? As it turns out, going to baseball games solved that numerical puzzle. The daunting and unattainable 30 devolved into 3, or something like that. Since we're growth-focused in the Valley, we're always throwing around the phrase 10x, as in "10xing your traffic."

I wonder what the opposite is? 10y?

I guess so; anyway there is new mathematical puzzle on the table, a 30-day waiting period, as it were. This time, I doubt baseball will be a factor. More likely, matters of the heart, a far trickier proposition.

I once met someone who claims it takes about 30 days for her to know her feelings in some personal matters. This interests me, and I wonder if we all might be that way? Our feelings can be fleeting and unreliable. We change our minds; our hearts change their attachments. Time blurs images, they become soft and fuzzy. Maybe we stop remembering how we felt, leaving confusion or nothingness in its stead.

You may say this is babaloney. But I'm still trying to make sense of so many projects in my head. The main one, this morning, regards Coastal Women for Change, a Mississippi group about whom I'll have more to say.

We are three days from the anniversary of Katrina, the storm that blew a hole in the underside of our country. Katrina did much more than flatten the Gulf Coast, it obliterated any illusion that this is a country of fair opportunity, or equality between the classes and races. Looking closer, it also ripped away the facade of progress for women in the lower classes.

The group that has emerged to challenge this reality and present an alternative vision for our common future is interesting indeed. I'll write more about them soon...

No comments: