Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Carried Away

Floating down the American River, you could be forgiven for concluding that there is a relentlessness to all of our lives, and that it is as simple as gravity. All rivers lead to the sea.

Here is a day where I drove many miles throughout Gold Country in California. It was a day to remember, not so much because anything special happened in the sunlight, but because later on, when I finally found my way onto the correct route back to San Francisco, the sun decided to set in the west in such a way that the random clouds hovering over the coast took on the unmistakable glint of gold, or perhaps, more relevantly, Fool's Gold.

Regardless, it is the rare day that any of us would be climbing the grade west of Livermore and encounter a sky such as this. I had trouble keeping my eyes on the road ahead as the show overhead intensified and dominated all of us, streaming down the highway in our metal boxes much as the girls in bikinis migrated down the American today on rubber rafts.


Okay, you must be asking yourself what the hell I am doing here. If only we all knew, we'd all have an easier time of it. But here is the main point, FWIW, from my POV. God, whoever that is, painted tonight's sky. Those of us who saw it had trouble driving.

I was thinking, if I have an accident now, it is God's fault. God, of course, had no interest in answering me, except obliquely. (S)he just painted the sky. That was a major distraction.

Distractions are one thing. The color of love is quite another. Who wouldn't fall in love with a sky like this? What about the stars, when they come out? Why do they affect us as they do?

Here's my advice: Go outside your city, some dark night, and look at the Milky Way.Think about the old myth of a prince and a princess separated by many miles and much time. Then, imagine them coming back together.

I think this is what scientists call a "cosmic event."

That's what I am seeking here.

:)

-30-

No comments: