Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Everything's Broken (really)

Veteran investigative reporter Sy Hersh has a new piece, called "The Next Act," in The New Yorker that discusses how Dick Cheney and his fellow neocons in the Bush administration are moving ahead with plans to take some sort of military action against Iran.

Sy's been the main "check" in our system of checks and balances against the Iran War, which the Bush-Cheney team has been planning at least since invading Iraq. Now that the Iraq confict is spiraling out of control, the neocons think that by opening a campaign against Iran they can save their Iraq offensive.

These are dangerously deluded men (and women). Thanks, Sy, for keeping an eye on the madmen at the controls. If they can be kept from bombing Tehran for two more years, maybe the voters, in their infinite wisdom will install leaders with a more sophisticated understanding of the new global political economy than these dinosurs!

***

Yesterday my digital camera broke. Plus my PC broke. Today, after 8 continuous hours of meetings at work, I discovered that my beloved Mac had died. With it went all of my files and photos and lists and writings. Apparently almost everything will be saved when I next find an open Apple store, but...

Today was my last day of work for a bit. I'm taking a five day trip. There must be something about holiday travel that provokes the technologies I am most dependent on to abandon me in my hour of need. Last Thanksgiving, preparing to fly to Biloxi, I lost my cellphone in the park.

Since I lost the use of both of my computers, you might ask, how is it that I am still able to post this message? A last-minute rescue by KK--thank you!

***

I'm feeling pretty bad about my blog these days. It seeme erratic, chaotic, all over the place. If I were the editor, as opposed to the writer, I'd tell him to try to focus in a bit. I'm afraid my readers may find this style irritating. Often it's as if my mind has warped into hyperspeed and I can't keep the thoughts from erupting, including ideas or conclusions or judgments that may perhaps have been better kept private.

Reading this blog, therefore, must be a little bit like watching a slow-motion train wreck. I'm sorry.

Also, let me say that nothing I ever post here is meant in any way whatsoever to purport to be about any other person -- just me. If the way I describe someone is offensive or at odds with her or his self-image, I trust them to tell me. Even anonymously.

Several times, people have done so and I've immediately changed the offending material. When I was an investigative reporter, back when I first knew Sy Hersh, I was aware that some of my writings could hurt people. Eventually, I stopped doing that work, in no small part because I'd prefer to not cause any unnecessary harm, wittingly or unwittingly, in my remaining time.

The web allows for quick corrections. The sole purpose of this blog is to share my thoughts and feelings with anyone who cares to read them. My hope is they may offer some comfort to the similarly afflicted, i.e., the broken-hearted. I hold no animosity toward any former partner; I'm grateful to each of them. They are not responsible for any of this. I love them all.

This Thanksgiving, while I'm traveling, I'm grateful to those who volunteer and help others less fortunate than themselves. You are my heroes, especially you long-termers down on the Gulf Coast. If you happen to see that girl in the white Mini, tell her I said hi.


-30-

No comments: