Thursday, February 15, 2007

On the road again...


Bags are packed, cooler is filled, plenty of CDs in the car. We've got warm shoes, scarves and mittens; art supplies, iPods, and stuffy kittens. There's gas in the tank, and fluid in the window washers.

So, in a few hours, it's off to Portland we go. North out of the foggy/sunny Bay Area, out into the Valley to pick up I-5, then straight as an arrow up the coast, around one side of massive Mount Shasta, and down into the green-forested plains of Oregon. Up and over mountain passes and past small towns and cities.

Well after sundown, we'll stop for the night, maybe around Ashton or Roseville. They'll be hot food and video games, heated motel rooms, and icicles on the car in the morning, as we resume our journey to see our little grandson and nephew, James, now about six weeks old. Plus his Mom and Dad.

I admit to sometimes feeling restless being tied to an office day after day; and in past years, I've rarely taken breaks. But, now, as I approach a milestone birthday later this spring, I'm cognizant more than ever that time waits for no man and no woman, and I better grab chances when they present themselves to me.

It is an exciting time in Silicon Valley; we all feel the boom all around us, pushing us to experiment, innovate, and explore new ideas. I'm in a highly stimulated state, intellectually.

But a short break may help me to consolidate some of wild ideas that have been visiting me into some sort of coherent plan for the future. My three excited little travel mates will be asking when will we get there, of course; and I'll answer to not forget to smell the roses -- or at least enjoy looking at snow-capped mountains along the way.

Who knows, maybe by Monday WeirDudes might have a new movie for release? You never can tell.

-30-

1 comment:

Stream said...

have a great time! say hi to little james ... and family ... for me.