Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bigger Stories



As much as I continue to blog about politics, my thoughts mainly return to the personal. David Talbot once told me he thought my main competence as a journalist was the political, and he was probably right, based on my published writings.

But this blog has been much more personal than political, and even though I am well aware of the rhetoric we all used to conflate them in an activist era now gone by, I think each deserves its proper consideration in our post-modern, discontinuous, multi-tasking lives here, on Bill Clinton's "bridge to the 21st century."

God, what a fucking brilliant politician that man was!

You might be forgiven for thinking, based on my earlier post today, that I oppose Hillary Clinton's bid for the Presidency, but that is far from the truth. For many years, I have been impressed by her ability to handle questions on an ad-hoc basis. In fact, in this way, she and her wayward husband are eerily similarly gifted.

But I fear, for Hillary's sake, that there are too many negatives arrayed against her. If I am right about this, feminists should finally have some ammunition to claim first place as America's most victimized, since Barack Obama will thereby be the next President.

I am saying that the time is right, historically, for a majority of my fellow citizens to vote a black man into the highest office in the land.

If true, maybe, just maybe, President Obama will usher in a new era, where anybody, male or female, gay or straight, of any mixture of race, nationality, ethnicity, color, size, religion, or appearance can win the right to be our country's face to the rest of the world.

Personally, I don't care who wins these elections as long as they watch Al Gore's documentary and commit themselves to a leading role in forging the global consensus necessary to save this planet for our children and grandchildren.

I know I will not live to see it, but I hope someday this society just collectively forgets about our differences and accepts the scientific evidence that we are 99.9% identical, based on DNA, and gets on with the true task at hand -- saving our planet.

In that spirit, I hereby dedicate this entry to my blog to the two people in the photo at the top -- my wonderful son Peter and his first nephew James. If you look closely at their body language, you will see the loving spirit that can bind us all one to the other, here and forever.

I am an old man now, and I feel my age. But, if I had another life, I would love to have a man like Peter for my father, and I also would love to have a child like James as my own.

-30-

No comments: