Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My tormenters



I have an admittedly bad record with computers, but what justifies these machines quitting on me before I even have a chance to wreck them?

Recently, I vowed to my kids that I would obtain a PC, so they could have a machine in my flat besides my Mac. I'm often online, working, blogging, searching, connecting, Skyping, and so on and so forth.

They have school projects, games, and their other activities.

We all ventured out to Best Buy, where I was so overwhelmed by choices that I froze, unable to yield my credit card to a purchase of $800 or so for a machine I do not understand, nor trust.

Then, my buddy Dave at work told me about a program whereby we can purchase old Compaq laptops for $75, so I chose that option. The only problem? When I got the box home last night, it failed, yielded the dreaded error message known as BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

Tonight, it is showing BSOD again.

I feel defeated. I'm not gifted technically, so whenever this kind of thing happens, my first impulse is that I must have done something wrong. But, maybe not. Maybe the tech gods are arrayed against me.

In any event, I am Internetless in the PC realm. Luckily, my Mac is substantially more reliable.

***
Machines, as frustrating as they may be, can't compete when it comes to the pain humans inflict on each other. Think about it. How are any of us to interpret people we thought were friends when they turn on us, suddenly and viciously? Or, when they suddenly choose to go silent, as if our voices can no longer be heard?

Let me ask you this. When you have cared for somebody, but fallen away from him or her, and you know it was mainly your choice to withdraw, how do you feel when you find out one dark day they have died?

Good? Bad? Guilty?

I suggest it is never safe to leave someone who thought (s)he was your friend dangling out there, unattended, when you knew (s)he needed you. You might just suffer an unwanted and unneeded shock one of these mornings. Better to connect. Just connect; in fact, just keep connecting.

That will never be a mistake. The alternative, however, could bring you endless pain.

-30-

No comments: