Friday, September 07, 2007

A major reversal (this hurts)

Today, I read an article on SF Gate , which contained the frustrated comments of Benjie Molina, the Giants' best player this season, a catcher from Puerto Rico, who is a true fighter in the best tradition of baseball.

If you follow this link, you'll see he is angry that the team is in last place, and that certain unnamed players are not really competing to win but to pad their statistics.

It doesn't take a linguist to recognize he is talking about Barry Bonds.

As readers of this blog know, I have been a loyal defender of Bonds for a long time. But today, reading Molina's comments, I suddenly realized the one thing about Bonds I hate. When his part of a baseball game is over, when he's pulled for a pinch-runner or for a defensive replacement, he doesn't stay in the dugout and root for his teammates to win the game.

He leaves.

To me, as a coach, this is unforgivable. Even if you are not playing, as a member of a team, you are responsible for supporting your teammates.

Barry Bonds doesn't do that. He is a great player but a bad teammate. For that reason, I am withdrawing my support for the Giants to resign him. I say that the end has come; Barry can go, and the Giants should build a winning team around their new, true leader, Benjie Molina.

(Tonight, Benjie hit a monster HR against the Dodgers to tie the game early. He is my kind of guy.)

-30-

2 comments:

Loic Comolli said...

I've wanted the Giants to let Bonds go for many years, rebuilding the team was impossible with him around.
This gave them a trade-off: Keep him and not compete at the highest level; let him go and be competitive within 2-3 years.

I don't know why they waited too long. I guess they wanted to fill the stadium because he brings in a lot of people to the game.

David Weir said...

You're right, Loic. I remained too much the romantic in this matter, wanting to give Bonds every benefit of doubt. He has been a great entertainer but he does not help his team win. Time to change shows.