Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Lives of Writers



So, what is the definition of a writer?

One who writes.

BTW, why do writers write?

Because they have to. A common joke, self-deprecatory of course, made by many writers is "I couldn't do anything else."



Joke or not, I suppose this description applies to me, partially. Though I also write because, to me, it is fun, and because it is the easy part of any job for me. I've managed marketing, fundraising, HR, customer support, analytics, membership, production, design, and many other departments or divisions of the companies that have employed me. I've worked a lot on branding, corporate identity, and business strategy.



But what turns me on is to write and to edit. For most of the past 20 years, I've edited far more articles than I have written. Helping somebody else achieve their potential as a writer; helping them find their voice -- that is an editor's pleasure.

As a supposed math whiz whose parents hoped I would become an actuary, I found out very quickly what the real math whizzes were like, and trust me, I wasn't one of them.



After math, I tried all sorts of majors. Economics and English Literature were hot ones, for a while. But it was my seventh and final choice -- Journalism -- that is listed on my B.A. from the University of Michigan, 1969.



So, since my very first published article, 41.5 years ago, I've been clear on my own calling. I am meant to write, to tell stories, and also to midwife the stories of others.



When I am gone, I hope the iceberg of my work becomes visible, not for the sake of personal glory, but for my childrens' sake.



The visible tip (10%) is my published work. The greater part was published under the names of others. And that makes me very, very happy. Because the work of those many others has been great!

-30-

No comments: