Sunday, November 11, 2007

No Secrets



It seems that when people think of me, what they usually find remarkable is that I have so many children. I am not poor, nor am I Catholic. Neither of my wives ever took those drugs that yield twins. No one would ever mistake me for the touchy-feely type, you know, the guys with drawstring pants, Birkenstocks, and front packs.

Nope, sorry to say, I've always been the macho type. You know, a sports fan, an investigative reporter familiar with the insides of bars, a competitive athlete, and the rest of that kind of baggage.

On the other hand, my truth is I have always been more interested in listening to people than telling my stories. Not that I am shy; I'm not, though I was until somewhere around age 20. It's just that I am a natural reporter, more interested in collecting stories than discovering my own.

On the other hand, as I age, I've become more aware of how many aspects of my own life might prove useful to others. The trick is to tell the truth, the emotional truth, under my own name. I hate anonymous writing. It hides all manners of sins.

In fact, when people post comments on community sites whilst hiding their true identities, I feel sorry for them.

Say what you believe or what you feel and say it in the naked glare of your true identity. I yearn for a day when this medium, the Internet, evolves to the point that to speak carries the responsibility to do so as yourself.

Really, none of us have anything to fear, if we tell the truth. No secrets.

-30-

No comments: