Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fantasies of Home


Every day seems to bring surprises, as long as we are paying attention. Today, walking along the sidewalk, I spotted some movement from a dash of color out of the corner of my eye.

It was (for me) an unprecedented sight: A resting hummingbird, with magnificent purple and green colors and a long black beak. We feared it was sick or injured. Just a couple days ago, I asked rhetorically, "Do hummingbirds ever land?"



Today the answer was given to me. This little bird took off and flew into a tree across the street. So that settles that.



Tonight, we attended a reading by the brilliant Valerie Miner, whose recent novel After Eden, was the focus of tonight's event. Valerie's theme, both in the book and in her talk, was the meaning of "home."

I realized, as I drove back to my modest flat here in the Mission, where there have been two holdups (and one shooting) on our block recently, how much I am invested in my current home.

However, I know from experience that I can easily adapt to some new home, once the opportunity presents itself. I've lived in about 25 different homes already. Much like that hummingbird, who knows the beauty of going tree to tree, I am well aware of the sweetness of change.

One life, many homes.

photos by Junko Sasaki

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... or we could just use smaller plates to eat from lol ...