Saturday, May 03, 2008

It's My New York...



...and I Heart it. This is Gramercy Park on a spring morning.



My New York is centered around The Nation, which has been chugging along as a truth-teller since the Civil War.



Many of the greatest writers of the past century and a half published there. Many still do.



Everything about New York becomes familiar quickly: Its architecture, skyline, parks, crowds, smells, sounds, and tastes.



My visit has coincided with a slight mist and a cooling trend. Too bad, I am told I just missed a heat spell when the girls all wore tank tops.



Last night, it was coats and scarves, but they still looked beautiful.



I could never live here. If I did, I'd have to become a scavenger. New Yorkers throw out more stuff each week than some societies consume in an entire year. I see magazines and books I want to read, picture frames and art I want to collect, and files, photographs, notebooks documenting contemporary urban culture.

It would be irresistable to a collector like me. Best be going back to the West Coast, which is exactly where I'm headed today...

-30-

No comments: