Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



For many years, I enjoyed sending my mother flowers and gifts on this day. I did so right up until her last year on earth, 2002.



All of my kids do things for their Moms on this day. JuJu is particularly attentive, spending care and time as she creates a card.



She also knows the perfect gift. "A son's a son until he takes a wife; a daughter's a daughter all of your life." That's the way the folk saying goes. But it isn't necessarily true. I know daughters so alienated from their mothers that they never speak to them.

I know sons so devoted that they never leave home.

Whatever. I think the greatest wisdom a parent can acquire is how to let go. Let your kids be free, when they are ready to be. That way, they'll come back some day, and you'll be thrilled to see them.

It's not for a parent to control, but to guide, and ultimately, to step aside. Happy Mother's Day to all of you who are mothers. Whether your kids call or not, you are most probably in their minds...

-30-

No comments: