Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Success! (Plus The Death of An Artist)



My driving student aced her driving test today! After 23 lessons over the past two-and-a-half months, today she took the DMV test and made no mistakes.



That's the big news here in the Mission, where we are experiencing a heat wave. The temperature reached 90 degrees, and tomorrow, it's supposed to go over 100!



All around, I see the beauty crafted by the mixture of sun and rain this season.



So many different colors! No artist could duplicate this loveliness.



But then again, today my heart is heavy due to the news of the passing of the great artist Robert Rauschenberg, at his home on Captiva Island in Florida.



I will have more to say about his art and his life tomorrow. But, for now, all I can say is we have lost a master and a teacher, not just about art but about the art of living.

My own connection to "Bob" was marginal -- I sold several of his paintings during my brief career as a part-time art dealer, and never actually met him. But, I did meet his partner, Darryl, and tonight I am feeling sad for him. Also, as a witness to Bob's art in the '90s, when he was not necessarily at the top of his game, I can attest to how wonderful it felt to have his paintings in the house.

His work always inspired the rest of us to think bigger, try harder, and not stop caring. He once said something that everyone, including those in business, art, parenting, or any other worthwhile pursuit should ponder:

"Being correct is never the point...Being right can stop all the momentum of a very interesting idea."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be so proud to have another polluter in the family. How much life are your offspring going to choke out of this planet?

David Weir said...

FYI, she only drives Prius and other hybrids. She only drives when she has to. Pray good sir, hiding behind your cloak of anonymity, what is it you drive? Do not tell a lie, my sweet coward without a name.

DanogramUSA said...

Oh, Look What You've Done


Engage a moron with the assumptions that the gender is male and age is qualified for driving when the mindless comment argues against both... You've given value where there is none. This gonad-less juvenile faces a steep and painful learning curve.

Please pass on to your student my congratulations and best wishes, no matter what she chooses to drive.

Anonymous said...

not a sir dear sir so your prayers will not help. Today I rode my bike as I will tomorrow. And I have not bred my loins to death.

David Weir said...

Good for you, bike rider! But I am sorry for anyone who is so bitter about children and life. It's good thing you don't pass on those genes!