Friday, May 09, 2008

What's in a Day?



I almost always wake up early, with the sun.



The newspapers at (or near) my front door, can be brought inside and read, perhaps with tea or coffee.



Then, still hours before most people report for work, I take a walk. I see lovely plants growing everywhere in my neighborhood. Evidence of life here in the middle of a big city.

Now and then, I stop, mesmerized by Nature's loveliness, set against humanity's foolishness. These cement sidewalks are meant to make my stroll easier, but, given their cracks and buckles, all they reveal is their inadequacy.

Much as we, as a species, appear before God, if you happen to believe in that kind of idea. Simple, foolish, arrogant apes, oblivious of our essential powerlessness against the powers of Nature, poised in the shadows of our reality, waiting to take us out.

No comments: