Monday, May 05, 2008

Our Family's Neighborhood






Around here, the best food is Mexican food. We all love it. High overhead, in this as in all urban neighborhoods, north, south, east, and west alike, jets soar.

Down here, at ground level, we have problems. The Crips and the Bloods still are killing each other in the Mission. Therefore, my kids cannot wear blue or red any longer.

In addition, there have been over 75 muggings around here lately, so nobody feels like walking around after dark. The perps are three young black guys with guns in sweatshirts with hoods with a getaway car nearby. Junko says I shouldn't be out, because as an older white man, I am a natural target.

After all, I might have cash in my wallet! (What a naive idea.)

When she's out at night, Junko takes a cab home. Talk about targets! Small Asian women
are especially vulnerable. Sometimes it's no fun to live in a big city.

-30-

No comments: