Thursday, June 19, 2008

One Quarter



That's the percentage of this lovely young fellow's genes I can theoretically take credit for. Of course that is not enough for any kind of grand claim, which I would not make in any event.

But it is enough to feel the bond of our common blood.

Tonight brought a complete surprise, in the form of my grandson and his parents stopping by, along with a long list of other friends, relatives and special visitors. The Weir family is an expansive one; if you are a friend of any one of us, you are a friend of us all.

But back to little James. Isn't he beautiful? As I look at him, I see the potential for wonderful things that I myself could never accomplish. James will reach far into a future I will never witness.

For now, he is at the beginning stage, and I am at my final act. What can I possibly say or do to transfer all the accumulated learnings of a life like mine?

Perhaps silence is golden in this regard. Times have changed so dramatically, and they continue to change. There s nothing much from the past for me to give him, other than this -- love transcends all else, James. Love is what we need.

-30-

1 comment:

DanogramUSA said...

David,

How in the world will we ever write a book about our differences if you keep writing like this?

On a note of good cheer, give Little James my best as well... and to all a good night.


Dan