Friday, June 20, 2008

The Office, Mid-Day Strolls & the Family Back Home



It was 116 degrees today in L.A. and not a whole lot less than that in Redwood City. It struck me today how seldom we document our work spaces. Here are a couple shots of the chaotic nature of my desk. Front and center is the plastic water bottle.

Plastic water bottles are conveniences that will soon pass from our lives. Why? Because most bottled water is simply repackaged tap water, at a cost markup of more than two orders of magnitude (51 cents a year is all you need to drink your biologically necessary amount of tap water; the same amount of bottled water costs you $56.)

At some point, economic rationality has to return to our consumption habits.

Probably more significantly, 80% of all plastic water bottles in this country end up in landfills as waste, albeit slowly-decomposing waste. They take 10,000 years to break down.



Piles of books. Wherever I go, piles of books follow. Books, too, will soon be mere curiosities of our past. The cost of the leading electronic book platform -- Amazon's "Kindle" -- stands at $ 359 or so today. It will be a third of that two years from now, according to the crowd at Predictify.com.



Office workers like me generally go out for a walk in the middle of day. Sometimes a cluster of us goes out for lunch. Other times, I wander my new environment on my own, admiring the lush scenery.



As the workday closes, we head home. For me, today, it was a very special day, and a rare one. It was the only day of 2008 so far that I came home to all six of my kids, their partners, my grandson, and my partner.

Tomorow is the first day of summer, officially. Happy Solstice, fellow druids!

No comments: