Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Things My Kids Teach Me


As some of you may know, I blog professionally about the media industry over at Bnet, which was recently absorbed by CBS. So now I receive a (modest but extremely helpful) monthly check from CBS, which means yet another entry to the short list of media empires who have paid me by during my career -- Murdoch, Time Warner, Hearst, The New York Times, and so on.

The nice thing about covering an industry like media in our era is the oft-noted truism that on the Internet, everyone is a publisher.

Today's post, should you care to check it out is called "What Can a Media Exec Learn From Xbox 360?" It as inspired by the sight of all three of my sons (aged 12-27) grouped around a game console last weekend.

As I watched them, it occurred to me that Microsoft (which makes the Xbox) is doing a lot of things right, in this new age of information technology, even as so many conventional publishers are doing almost everything wrong.

That led to today's work, one of the longest posts I've ever published for Bnet. According to that site's ranking system, whereby users can "recommend" an article, the previous post I did about the XBox last summer was my most popular ever -- over 150 users have recommended it to date.

Maybe this one will someday eclipse that record, who knows. But I'm indebted to my boys for even knowing what an Xbox 360 even is, let alone its implications for the industry where I've spent almost my entire career.

-30-

No comments: