Friday, February 06, 2009

Breakdown!


No not that kind. My long-suffering computer chose today to die, or at least to lapse into a coma. Thirty years ago, one of my dreads was that whatever old car I happened to own at the moment would break down. But today, a laptop that costs less than a thirteenth of my car is costing me (it's not yet paid off) is a far more important tool than my car.

Like most people, I don't backup my hard disk as often as I should, so today I confronted the possibility of losing a couple years' work. Had that occurred, more than my Mac might have suffered a breakdown. But the exceedingly patient young man who helped me at the Apple Store coaxed the old box back into enough life that I was able to transfer 6.45 GB of data onto a $30 flash drive, before he sent the Mac from the ER into the Intensive Care Unit.

He said they'll call me once they diagnose the problems. But I have a very bad feeling about this.

The timing, as usual, could be better, naturally. But I am back online, sort of, tonight on an old, fragile Japanese computer that has the unnerving propensity to suddenly and spontaneously switch languages on me 理家テャt!胃t八編sあs位sたれどwんあt手ぇけy簿あ like that.

Maybe I'll stop 漏れ無 now while I am ahead.

As for the photo at the top of this post, as they say in Japan "A thousand hearings are less than one view." Think about that.

案d位f用感フィグレ王tウァt手ぇヘッl位tmて案sれt目kの

-30-

No comments: