Sunday, March 01, 2009

North, then South

All photos by Julia.

Today we said our goodbyes to our family members up north, and my youngest and I drove off into the rain, a horrible task, up along I-5 trying to see our way forward despite the heavy rains and the invisibilities only trucks can create.



But we did it, and we the faced delays in the airport (Seattle) where our flight home (San Francisco, for now) was complicated by bad weather up and down the west coast.



We made it home.



But it's not easy being the youngest of six children in a family like ours, with a Dad so old most people mistake him as her Grandpa.

Neither she nor I appreciate that error. Oh, we are invariably polite, but other people's expectations do not meet our needs. I'm 61, she's 10. And we are best buds. Screw everyone who can't deal with that!

-30-

p.s. She is a great navigator, which is what every driver in strange territory needs most.

No comments: