Saturday, February 28, 2009

These Cities Will Lose Us Soon



Portland, OR

Most of my time for four decades has been spent in San Francisco and most of my extra time has been spent in New York City. I love them both, almost beyond expression. I love the people, the food, the culture, the politics, and the spirit of these two special towns.

But I've glimpsed my future, and, barring a best-selling book, a winning lottery ticket, or some other miracle, I will not be living in either of these places.

Among the aspects of this that pain me is the fact that all of my children were born in San Francisco. But none of them can afford to be there.

I live in a part of town that most San Franciscans would consider a ghetto -- filled with the poor, the homeless, the drunk, and the drugged. Still, my unimpressive flat costs me $1,650 a month BEFORE utilities, which raise that monthly nut above $2,000.

Here in Portland, just up the road a day or so, I could easily rent a place, utilities included, for half that price. Am I scouting a new home base? You bet.

Folks, we are entering the Greatest Depression. Forget the 1930's. This one is far worse, so it is time for those of us who still possess any cash or investments whatsoever to begin a radical downsizing.

I want to get out while the getting out is still possible. Though I've probably enjoyed more financial success than 95% of Americans, I am now facing poverty on a scale I never imagined would be my companion as an old man. I don't even have health insurance, despite having paid probably a half million bucks into this corrupt health care system over the years.

What have I gotten for that? Do not get me started.

If you can do the math, you know what I am talking about. Get out from under those mortgages, overpriced rents, and expensive cars and get yourself to a place where you have a better shot at survival.

I'm going to do it.

You should too.

-30-

No comments: