Saturday, May 09, 2009

Single Parent's Saturday Night



The day started out at the Polo Field near the ocean. First the girls had to tuck in their shorts and check in with the ref.



This team is young for its age bracket, something that happens in kids' sports. So they are always playing larger and older kids and always losing their games.



But they have a great cheer and great team spirit. They finished the first half down only 0-1.



We will not discuss what happened in the second half.



By mid-afternoon, the big boys were readying to play at Franklin Square. There were a number of tense events today. Something in the air smelled wrong.



The opponent is coached by a Frenchman who clearly teaches that fouling is a great way to conduct yourself in a soccer game, especially if the referee doesn't catch you at it. Also, a coach who likes to call kids on the opposing team names, including profound names, like the F word, as well as to encourage his assistants to do so.



My son was tripped, kicked, pushed, headed, and tackled from behind, and taunted by the other team's coaches. To my amazement, he held his cool and never retaliated, and also played a brilliant game.



He had an assist in a hard-fought 2-2 tie. Late in the game, when the ref yellow-carded two of the opposition players within a minute, and ejected one of their assistant coaches from the pitch, I had a proud parent moment. The man was cursing and seething, yelling at any kid in an orange jersey who was within earshot, as if it were their fault that he had been ejected for his own inappropriate behavior.

He tried his act on my son ("You are a %^$#&^ just like your parents") and to his credit, my 14-year-old (who's probably three inches taller and already a much more mature human being than this pathetic loser) looked down at the man, and said in his deep, calm voice, "No, but it is time for you to be leaving now."

Such are the moments a parent savors on yet another Saturday night I will spend alone. I love my freedom. I can do anything, be anywhere, go out with anyone I want to. This is a freedom I've seldom known in my life.

Lonely? My own company is plenty to keep. I'm sure my mood will escalate and collapse in several wide undulations yet this warm, summery evening. I'm hoping those who were hurt today recover. I'm hoping those feeling hopeless tonight find hope.

As for me, I'm writing, here and in other venues. Before the day ends, thousands of words will have escaped straight from my chest, which is hurting. I don't know why my chest hurts.

But I do know that that is where the heart resides.

-30-

No comments: