Monday, August 24, 2009

As We Ripen



Is it normal for people as they age to become obsessed with food? According to Michael Pollen, writing in The New York Times recently, we Americans have become obsessed with watching other people cook on TV, rather than doing the cooking ourselves.



That makes me out-of-step once again, here in the marginalia of U.S. society. First, I have never watched a cooking show, and I actually love to cook myself. The only thing that gives me more pleasure than eating is preparing food for others.

I look at recipes now and then, but once you've been cooking long enough, you tend to know which ingredients go with others. The stuffing for cornish rock hen, for example, that I made on Saturday featured fresh basil plucked from my garden, with diced red onion, spiced bread crumbs, a bunch of other herbs, fresh-ground garlic, celery, a dash of red vino, and a few other items stewed in chicken stock.

It turned out fine.



I rarely write about food here because I'm likely to offend my many vegetarian friends. As an unabashed omnivore, I try everything that's in the shops, from quail eggs to rattlesnake, reindeer, eel, Bavarian Cheesehead, and uni.

It all just makes my mouth water. But for now, I will simply split a vine-ripened tomato, salt it, and enjoy one of life's simpler pleasures.

Eating

-30-

No comments: