Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Goodbye to a Great Man


I only met him once, in his apartment in Washington, D.C, one evening as he held a party supporting the launch of a liberal magazine when I was working as bureau chief for Salon in 1999-2000.

But he was literally larger than life. He was a very big man, tall, wide, large in all senses. Plus his voice. He really roared. Plus his eyes. He looked at everyone in the room, evaluating who you were.

He was easily the greatest Senator of our era, but also so much more than that. He was the type of person us ordinary Americans could trust to have our best interests at heart, always.

Republicans as well as Democrats loved him.

All I can add is may he R.I.P. Many Americans routinely dismiss all of our politicians as "empty shirts." These folks are clueless about greatness.

Ted Kennedy was a great American. I will miss him.

No comments: