Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Julia, Julie & Me


I watched this entertaining film (Julia and Julie) about two writers tonight, at the lovely Kabuki Theater, and I identified with both of them in different ways. Julia Child because she was quirky and passionate. Julie Powell because of the math.

The math, you say? Yes. Julie made all 524 recipes in Child's famous cookbook in one year, 365 days. She also blogged about them. That comes out to just under 1.44 recipes/day, and although I have not checked whether she blogged every single time she completed a recipe that year, if she did that would mean 1.44 blogs per day as well.

I don't know how many people reading these words are writers, but that is a tremendous pace for a writer to maintain. Here at Hotweir World Hdqtrs, for example, I have published at the rate of 1.17 posts/day since launching in April 2006.

Doing anything over a long term at a steady basis is quite difficult. Writing is much more difficult than you might imagine. I'm rather proud of myself, from a mathematical perspective, but of course no one will be making a movie about this drivel.

Still, I'd recommend the movie, if only to contemplate the plight of writers, rich or poor, well-known or not, prolific or not.

It does come down to the numbers in the end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing David! Cooking is about the only thing I do apart from work, and with kids it's the same things every week. What a boring Blog that would be.

David Weir said...

Okay, R_Ww1coTsYNUTVXdv9QqqpeBCiGLyQ--,
but you never know what is boring or not! It could be fascinating. Look at what happened to both Julia and Julie!