Sunday, November 08, 2009

Garden Soup on an Autumn Day



My friend noticed this as we arrived at the Polo Fields -- a shaft of sunlight in the woods near the soccer fields.



The field also looked surreal in the early morning light. The game didn't go well, for the girls. They lost, 0-3. But the playoffs are not over yet and they'll play again next week.



Back home, my 11-year player had an idea. "Let's cook something."

"Something" turned into an organic vegetable soup. We picked a few tomatoes, green onions, sweet basil leaves, and other plants, cooked them in a cream base with potatoes, carrots, garlic, and other ingredients into such a delicious comfort food that even my big, tall meat-eating boys snapped up their portions happily.

What is endlessly wonderful about parenting, as long as you're open to it, is all the things your kids teach you and introduce you to. I could write volumes about this topic. (I suppose, given all of my posts, I already have done that, actually.)

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

today is chilly and the soup sounds sooo good. I know what you mean about how our children teach us so much!!