Friday, November 06, 2009

Back to Origins

Over three and a half years ago, I started this blog with a simple post:

Date: Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Headline: Heavy rains

Post: Here in the Bay Area, just back from New York, I miss the sunshine, as it has been raining ever since my return. The whole world around me seems to have turned dark. The light is gone.


***

For apparently the first time since I wrote those simple three sentences, I went back to reread them tonight, because I find myself, emotionally, at what feels like the exact same place in life as I was then, with all that old familiar pain.

But before getting to that, I was shocked to discover that in such a short post I could have failed to capitalize the first letter of the first word in the middle sentence!

I've corrected it above, as well as in the original, but it certainly shows that I got off on an inauspicious note, eh?

Of course, hardly anyone ever read that beginning entry, I'm sure.

And I was not at all explicit as to what was happening to me back then. It took awhile before I stopped relying on metaphors like rain and darkness and admitted that I was going through an extremely painful breakup with someone I loved and who loved me.

If I have grown at all since then, I have learned that breakups always involve people who love each other. Even in the white heat of seeming hate, revenge, anger, bitterness, there is the residual love that once ignited softer passions.

This week, the skies have again turned dark, the rains are falling (softly so far) and the same metaphors apply in my personal life. I have returned over the past few months, but explicitly and with finality only this week to the status of a single man, with no partner, mourning an extremely special relationship that just did not work out.

The reasons it didn't work, and the proximate behaviors involved, on her part and mine, will remain private. I've developed a new sensitivity toward all of our collective and individual privacy online over my years of writing here.

On the one hand, I want to be entirely honest, emotionally. And, as a writer, the more of any truth I can voice helps me heal the fastest. But, "truth" is a funny concept, as I've gradually come to appreciate over a lifetime of seeking it.

When a couple splits, there is (at least) her truth and his truth. And since mine is the only voice here, the least fair thing I could possibly do is reflect only my perspective.

I will not do that, not to someone I will always, on many levels, love so deeply, regardless of what the future holds.

Letting someone go is hard work. You have to do it when you lose a relationship; even more profoundly when someone you love dies.

Letting go of anyone seems to be especially hard for me. I still mourn work friendships that date back decades. I miss old friends who have somehow dropped away over the years.

I miss moments that can never return.

Most of all, I miss intimacy, probably the hardest state to achieve. Relationships involve a balance of power. It is almost impossible to get that part right. They also involve stages of life; the two have to have some way to balance their relative stages in a mutually satisfying way if they are to happily stay together.

Of course, I should define my idea of relationship. I don't mean "staying together for the kids;" or "one takes care of the other," or "it would be too scary to end up alone."

I fully accept and even expect that I will end up alone in my life. I've had my share of wonderful relationships, and I can honestly say I wish no one who has been an intimate partner harm. I wish each of them happiness and resolution before we pass on, as each and every one of us will do.

One of my ex's has a great boyfriend. I am very happy for her, she deserves that.

I have a lot of work to do. I wish it wasn't this dreariest of all times of year in which to do it. Every joyful face, with the exception of own children's, at the American holiday time sears my broken heart.

There's more. Deep within any person going through the loss of a relationship that once seemed so special and so hopeful is an awful gaping hole -- a place filled with so much agony that no other human being could possibly be expected to go there and witness it.

Perhaps, with people who write to survive, that place is even uglier and more frightening. Perhaps. I do not know for sure, but what empirical evidence lies before me, in the broken shards of my attempts to form new couplings, suggests that the bright red blood flowing (metaphorically) from my body flows for a reason, and these words must be its purpose.

So, if any of my long-time readers thought they would be rid of me in this space anytime soon, fear not.

A new wound has opened. I am alone, hurting, and needing to communicate. Because that is my only tool for healing and moving on. Those who become too sad at reading about another's pain may wish to vacate these premises for a while.

Take heart. Another season beckons. Spring time, the season of renewal.

But not for now.

-30-

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

Since I've been introduced to the four seasons I often wish autumn would turn into spring...unfortunately winter lies in between. I hope this winter season of yours does not last too long.

Anonymous said...

You could come visit us in AZ and shorten up that winter.
Thx for the picture of Julia. She sure is a cutie too.
Love, Nance