Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Sole On Ice


Earlier this evening, remembering my years covering Eldridge Cleaver and others in the Black Panther Party for Rolling Stone, I also was continuing to ice my 15-year-old soccer player's injured left ankle, as we have been doing for a week now.

How weird is that? The author of Soul on Ice had very different objectives when he wrote his book than I have for my son, though then, as now, I have respect for his work as a writer.

Whatever. Life delivers its opportunities volley by volley. There is no chance to reflect about what it all means, or whether it means anything at all.

But tomorrow at 2:30 pm, in Boxer Stadium here in San Francisco, an unlikely playoff squad from Balboa High School will take to the pitch against O'Connell High School.

O'Connell had the better record during the regular season and won its only encounter with Balboa, 2-0. Plus they won their division and are therefore the heavy favorites.

May the better team win. Then, that team has the unenviable task of playing Mission High School, the perennial champion here in the City, on Saturday.

All I know is this much: My son is ready to compete. Win or lose, his ankle can hold up, he can play, he can defend, all thanks to ice, elevation and Ibuprofen. I'll be there.

-30-

2 comments:

anjuli said...

What would we do without Ibuprofen!? But the combination of ibuprofen and a great, caring dad- now that is powerful.

David Weir said...

Thank you, anjuli, for your comment. This morning I'm nervous and excited. This could be the last game of their season, or the second to last. Either way, it's the biggest game he will ever have appeared in...