Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Escapes from the Mind



It's fairly easy to get trapped in life, in a job, in a relationship, in a lifestyle, in almost any set of circumstances that don't work for us.

Making them work is work.

Life is an organic process; it goes on until we end.

Sometimes the escape from the circumstances that seem to confine us are only in our mind. Sometimes we don't even want to leave.

Then, a window that beckons turns into its own trap -- a place we don't really want to go.

-30-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My step-mother once said to me the following in response to my feeling of being stuck in my marriage: "one never knows when they are going to turn a corner." At that point, I was in my 40s. Now that I'm in my 60s, I can see its application to almost everything. After thinking about change on a daily basis for over 13 years, it took only 24 hours to turn a corner, begin walking on beyond the change, and live in an entirely new sphere.

Anjuli said...

I liked what you said about

"Sometimes the escape from the circumstances that seem to confine us are only in our mind. Sometimes we don't even want to leave."

That statement is so true! I find it is not 'sometimes' but 'often'- our mind is such a powerful tool and unfortunately it works against us when it should be working for us....thus the saying "its all in your mind..." (or is it? "Its all in your head??" I always get my 'sayings' jumbled.)

As for the open window beckoning-
Is it something like jumping from the pot into the fire?

David Weir said...

Thanks for these comments. All I know is there may be a time to jump through that window (after first looking to see how far the fall will be), but there is also a time to turn away from it, and stay warm at home.