Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hole in the Wall

Not a new little cafe in San Francisco, no. Something more mundane -- a hole cut in the ceiling of my bathroom by workers trying to fix a serious water leak from the unit above.



This was part of the repair undertaken after I'd noticed a large globe forming in the ceiling, sloping downward, filling proportionately until it hung down quite invitingly, with fluid oozing from its tip.



The fluid, alas, was dirty water.

Such repairs in old houses (this one was built circa 1880) are routine, naturally.

This problem must have been swelling on its own, unnoticed, during the month I was away, recuperating, because when I came home, it was quite fully formed, begging for attention.

As of this hour, the hole has been patched. Who knows if the leak has been fixed, however.

I've been around too long to assume anything, when it comes to old-house repairs. We'll see what holds and what doesn't once we fire up the system once again...

p.s. Could you imagine that a simple coat of house paint could be that strong?

-30-

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

I remember one of those on a ceiling of an apartment we stayed in...ugh!! Its good you took care of it.

Yes, I was amazed how strong the house paint was- AND thankful!! :)