Thursday, December 23, 2010

Joined Together



The moon rose to the east, massive and yellow just above the horizon."Follow the moon, Grandpa, to get there," advised my two-year-old buddy.

Hours earlier, a perfect rainbow had framed the East Bay from San Francisco.

Any way you cut it, all signs pointed east.

In my research, I stumbled upon intriguing evidence that emotions are not so much separate from reason but that cognitive function and human feelings are intertwined.


I didn't hear you leave
I wonder how am I still here
And I don't want to move a thing
It might change my memory


If so, each time we encounter a new situation, we draw on our previous rational and emotional experiences to adapt.

The problem is whether we ever get certain things right in this life.

I swore I'd never love again
I swore my heart would never mend
Said love wasn't worth the pain
But then I hear it call my name


The world of lovers is exclusive to them, they imagine, for a while, as if nobody else even exists. But, of course, all is illusion.

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I've ever needed, it's you
You're all I've ever wanted
And loving you's the right thing to do
And I'll see it through


Thus, it continues, the circle of love in life. "Tag, you're it." Now you have it, now you don't.

It's oh so special and then, just as suddenly, vanished in the night.

Who can say where the breakdown began, where the threads started to pull away from one another, strand by strand.

But, no, not you, not this time, you say. You fiercely insist this one is different; this one will last.

Rationality. Emotionality. Somewhere unknown deep in your body lies the truth. By the time you find it, however, the moment will have passed.


We're both guilty of mistakes
Though you rarely take the blame
Are you coming through
Sometimes
I hate you


Thus, the tragedy plays on. Still, we all seek the next illusion, the next hope, rarely, if ever, considering what it is we have cast aside.

-30-

No comments: